Monday, February 8, 2010

Running Mad

I HATE running. I absolutely despise it. The only times I prefer to do it is if I'm being chased by something or if I'm chasing something (like a basketball or softball). I understand the importance of being in shape, especially when trying to perform on a team. However, it is the worst torture for me. Last year when I was coaching, I told my players on the first day that they would be running like crazy before and during the season. I did it for a reason, and a very good one at that. You see, you can't be a good basketball player if you play 3 awesome quarters and are tired for the 4th. We could not play to the best of our ability unless we were in better shape than the other team. Yes, good defense and making a shot here and there are important. BUT, it inevitably comes down to the 4th quarter and whether or not we could continue playing at a high level for all 32 minutes of the game.
I'm just now starting to run again after having Desmond. Yes, he will be 1 on Saturday - back off! And I still hate it. However, I'm seeing the importance of taking care of myself. I can't be the best mommy and wife unless I put my health and shape first. "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" I guess in my case it would be "if momma ain't HEALTHY, ain't nobody health." There are more children in our future. I want to be healthy for myself and for him/her/them. I've got to "go the distance" to take care of myself.
I've decided to set a goal for myself this year - to run a half marathon. I'm actually going to walk/jog it. I'm not interested in RUNNING it. I want to finish the race. I'm thankful for my friend, Carrie who is willing to jog/walk it with me. We have already started training for it. The race is the last weekend in April. I will be sharing more about it later.
It sounds funny, but my relationship with the Lord is just the same. How am I supposed to "bring up my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord" if I, myself, am not doing it? I have to stay on top of it - keep it healthy. What good is a luke warm Christian? none...the Lord will spit you out of His mouth! Get healthy, stay healthy...be healthy in every area. I'm trying to do my best. Are you?

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I was a Division I runner in college and I can count on two hands the number of times I've gotten out there since my graduation in May 2008!! Two times since my son was born in July- don't be hard on yourself :) I'm now following you!

Casey P said...

My body changed so much after I had my little one...nothing is the same, nor did it go back where it came from. Thanks for the encouragement and for following.
I'm trying to get more people to my site - any tips? how did you find mine?

Kimberly said...

I am trying to run (sigh!) I am running 10 minutes with Wii fit..hopefully when the weather gets better I can try outside! I love your header with the feet!