Friday, February 5, 2010

Heritage: Episode I

I'm so thankful for such a wonderful family, on both sides. I want to give you a better picture of our families, from deep within. In this post, I simply want to address my husband Aaron's maternal grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa Hubbard. They are simply amazing! In the almost 7 years that I have known them, they have made me feel like their own granddaughter. I KNOW they love me.
When you visit their home in Michigan, you will find Grandpa tending to his 1/2 acre garden and Grandma baking pies. Grandpa will surely take you on a tour of all of his flowers, his garden, and the blueberry bushes out back. You will find out where he bought them, who he bought them from and what a bargain he got on each plant. Last summer, we had the opportunity to spend a few days with them in their home. It was a wonderful time. In one day alone, grandpa picked and we canned 90 pints and 17 quarts of green beans. Although it is their hobby, it is also their way of providing for their family still. We left there with two boxes of green beans and a box of fresh salsa. They provide all of their children and married grandchildren with green beans, salsa, corn, strawberries and so much more. They are so giving and we appreciate the fresh produce in the dead of winter! They are both such hard workers.
They both also like to have fun. For the winter months, they head to their home in Florida. We are blessed because they just "happen" to come our way from Michigan to Florida and back. Usually they stop for a couple of days each way. We play every card game you have ever heard of...and even ones they have made up themselves. They are so competitive, and even worse with each other. Its hilarious, but great at the same time!
I cherish them because they have been an example for everyone to follow. They are so giving and encouraging. Every time we are together, they want to know how our ministry is going. They tell us how proud they are of us being willing to serve in full-time ministry. They tell us what the Lord has been doing in and around them. They are so excited about serving our Savior! Grandpa always prays, "that Thou might bless this our dear family, oh Lord." And he has!
I'm so thankful for the Godly home they brought my mother-in-law up in. They have backed her up and supported her through everything, I know. I appreciate her because of the love that she has for me and the home she raised my husband in. When Aaron's dad left, she was solely responsible for the well-being of her 5 kids. She worked so hard (at least 3 jobs most of the time) just to provide for their necessities. Yet, she still gave sacrificially to those around her. She also made sure her family was in church and that her children saw what a Godly woman and mother should be. Thank, you Julie! Because of you, my husband is the wonderful man he is today.
I'm so thankful for this wonderful part of our family. I look forward to sharing more of our rich heritage with you.

No comments: