Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Heritage: Episode II

Ok, so friends aren't technically considered part of your "heritage," but when you have some of the friends I have, they might as well be family. Throughout my mere 24 years of living, I have had (and still have) some absolutely amazing friends. We have laughed and cried together. When I am down, they build me up. They pray for me and with me. They support me in everything I do and attempt (well, most of the time!). I consider myself very blessed to have these special people in my life. I want to run just a FEW of these wonderful ladies by you...so you can get a small insight into the support system I have around me.
First, my friend Yasmin. We met when my family moved to Oklahoma in 2000. We became fast friends, although we are so very different. She was the cheerleader (which I am not a big fan of) and I was the athlete. She is the girly-girl and I am the tom-boy. One thing we have in common - our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. That is an amazing bond...a sister-hood, literally. She is absolutely one of the most amazing young ladies I have ever known...of course I'd want her as my best friend! She is single and allowing the Lord to use her wherever and whenever. She is from Peru and speaks Spanish as her first language. When we were in high school, we were always in each other's homes. If I wanted to know what everyone was laughing about, I had to learn spanish. Don't get me wrong, I do not speak fluently by any means, but I can understand a whole lot more because of Yas and her family. We love to have fun and be silly together. We love to travel - particularly in Europe. It was our life dream to go to Spain. In 2006, we got to realize that dream when we were there for a mission trip. Little did she know, the Lord would call her there 2 more times and who knows how many times in the future. She is passionate about knowing Christ and sharing that knowledge through the teaching of the Gospel and His Word. She is AMAZING!
Yasmin and I have a great friend together - Cassie. Cassie just got married almost 2 years ago. Now, Yas is the outcast in our friendship for 3. Cassie and I love to play sports and to be outdoors...we are the tomboy athletes and Yas is our cheerleader...haha! The 3 of us love to be together. With Yas out of the country and me in Tennessee, we don't get to be together just the 3 of us very often. But when we are, anyone around will need earplugs. We LOVE TO LAUGH! And we are loud when we laugh...and that is an UNDERstatement! Cassie married a wonderful young man named Gary. Cassie is a teacher and basketball coach at her old school in Oklahoma. She and her husband serve as youth workers in the church we all attended in high school (which happens to be where my parents serve in full time youth ministry). They are such a wonderful asset to their ministry! Cassie also loves Jesus and loves to share the gospel with others. She, too, went with us to Spain...what a wonderful memory-making trip!
Cassie loves to hunt and play any sport...well, almost any. She is very competitive. In fact, when we were in high school, we went to rival schools. When we played the Wildcats, we were fierce competitors on the court (her team won all the time), but we looked out for one another at the same time. We love to play any kind of card games together. I am so blessed to have Cassie as one of my best friends!
I came to Nashville in 2004 when I started college. I made several wonderful, lifetime friends at school, but none like Yas and Cassie. Aaron took a position as youth pastor at a small church just outside of Nashville in November of 2006 - just before we got married. We served there for 2 1/2 wonderful years. We have some wonderful friends from our years there...our previous pastor and his wife in particular. Blaine and Donetta. Blaine, the pastor at that time, became a mentor to Aaron in his first position of ministry. Donetta did the same for me...we became fast friends! After a year of service together, the Lord called them to another ministry in Arkansas. It was a difficult time for us, but we knew they had to follow where the Lord was telling them to go. She was my friend away from home and I love and apprecaite her very much!

When the Lord called us to our current ministry, Aaron and I (selfishly) prayed for good friends. Especially being in the ministry, friends become essential for encouragement, support, love, shoulders to cry on, ears to vent to, etc. etc. Little did we know, those incredible friends were just around the corner. We had attended our church while in college, so we had a few friends from our time then. The music minister and his wife were having a baby the same time we were. (Today is their son's birthday, by the way - happy birthday, Mayer!) That in itself was a blessing - to be going through the same season of life together. Through every step of our first year of parenthood, we have been through it together. Through our first year of ministry at TDF, they have encouraged us and showed us the ropes. Carrie is the one I am running the half marathon with next month. We have been training together. If it wasn't for her, I probably would not be doing it. Not only did Aaron and I get friends, but Desmond has his very best friend in their son, Mayer. They are two peas in a pod!
They are such a wonderful family - and its not just the 3 of them. Since both Aaron and my family are far away, for the most part, their families have adopted us as their own. Carrie's whole family lives here and attend our church. Her parents have become Desmond's adopted grandparents...and Carrie's sister, Katie and her husband have become great friends as well. To say the least, we could not be more grateful for them!

Last, but certainly not least, my mom is one of my best friends. There will be a more in-depth post about her later. For now, she is one of my biggest supporters, and always has been. .She prays for me and lifts me up. She has been and still is a wonderful example for me to follow. I love my momma!

2 comments:

Living Abundantly said...

I was smiling the whole time I was reading this ... and saying, "I love her!!!! I love them!!!!" Then, when I got to the end ... well, you know me. The tears began to flow. So glad God has blessed you with such wonderful friends! And I'm even more thankful that God has blessed ME with YOU!!!

Living Abundantly said...

Oh, 2 more things: I LOVE your short hair in a couple of the pics, and ... I look drunk in those pics of you and me. LOL