Tuesday, May 3, 2011

ReSTARTs and Catch-ups

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know its been one year since I last posted. I know last time I restarted my blog I said I was going to do better. Well, this busy life got the best of me and I honestly did not even consider it much over the last year. However, I've been thinking about it more frequently in recent days, so I hereby vow to write when I have the chance. It may not be very often and then again it could be a couple of times a week. I'm not making any promises about a certain number of entries, just when I get the opportunity. So now, I'm taking this opportunity to let you in on what has happened in our lives in one year- its probably going to be a long post.
Last fall, our church had the opportunity to start feeding the football team from the high school across the street from our church. 75+ football players, managers, and coaches were in the doors of our church once a week for 9 or 10 weeks. WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY! We got to know several of them. They saw our faces on Thursday and then on Friday nights at their games. It was a HUGE door the Lord opened for us. Since then, a couple of the players started coming. One, in fact, joined our church a few weeks ago and has become a leader in our youth group. Praise the Lord! I can't wait to see what He's going to do in the future with that opportunity.
Also in the fall, I had a job opportunity arise. I have been doing medical transcription work since last August. What a blessing it has been! I am able to work from home, usually during nap time or after the boys have gone to bed, and still have a great paycheck. A great friend of mine helped to train me and for that I am so grateful!
My last post was about the flood and me running the marathon. Yesterday marked one year since the disasterous flood in Nashville. It was an emotional weekend and day, even though we were not directly impacted by the flood waters. Our church was repaired and back in running order just a short 8 weeks after the flood. The many families in our church were displaced for a while. The last of the families that were able to reconstuct their homes got back into their home in November. The Lord taught me so much through the families who had to face the disaster day after day. He showed Himself like only He can- as Provider, Comforter, Shelter, our Rock, and many other things on a daily basis. It was amazing to see how He continued to shine through each and every member of the families impacted. It was also incredible to see His hands and feet at work. The body of believers here in Nashville, in the country, and around the world jumped right in to help with everything imaginable. Although it seemed like a complete loss, much was gained through the entire experience.
Also in the last post was me running the marathon. Well, as it turns out, I got pregnant shortly after running that race. Needless to say, I didn't get to run any other races last year. (wink, wink!) On January 2, 2011, we had a beautiful baby boy named Lincoln. He weighed in at 7 pounds 8 ounces. After going through labor and was ready for delivery, they informed me that he was footling breech and I would have to have a C-section. That was a hard blow, but he came safely - which is all that really matters. Mom stayed with us for three weeks and it was a huge blessing. I wasn't even able to lift Desmond for 6 weeks! Wow! that's hard to do. We made it though.


In September, I convinced my dad that he needed to run the marathon with me this year. I knew I needed something to work for and motivate me after I had Lincoln, just to get the stinking baby weight off of me. After many guilt trips, he finally agreed to run it. He started training, running the least of three miles several times a week. He started a 10 week program in February to prepare for it. Amazingly, he finished the 1/2 marathon this past Saturday in 2:24!!! Not bad for an old guy! I'm so proud of him!!!  Now, I obviously did not know that I would be put out 6 weeks after having Lincoln, and that it would be so hard to train with having two kids, but I did. I finished my second 1/2 marathon this past Saturday as well. The time doesn't matter, I crossed the finish line. Needless to say, I'll continue training and working hard to run more in the near future.



My mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew all came in for the marathon. Because they were all going to be here on Sunday, we had Lincoln's baby dedication that day. My brother is about to graduate from medical school next week (GREAT JOB DARIN!) and so he won't be able to be at much for the next few years because of residency. We thought we'd take the opportunity so he could be with us at the dedication. My goodness! Our church family is so wonderful. I was overwhelmed by their response during the dedication and our pastor had such encouraging words to share about our family.


Aaron and I started P90X 4 weeks ago. We just started week 5 of it yesterday. I can't believe the transformation I have seen in Aaron!  We took our 30 day pictures yesterday and he looks amazing! Its definitely not easy, but its fun to go through it all together.
In February, Desmond turned 2. I can't believe it!  He's getting so big and is talking like a 5 year old. He's so much fun, but it can be trying at times with temper tantrums and fits. Most of the time, he is only like that for us and not others, thankfully. He loves trucks, motorcycles, all kinds of sports, and riding his bike. He likes Mickey Mouse, Handy Manny, and WoddyBuzz (as he says it). He loves to sing songs too. He knows his ABCs, can count to 30, and loves songs like the B-I-B-L-E, Old McDonald had a farm e-i-e-i-o, and Jesus loves me. Its fun to watch him learn new things every day.




Well, I know that's not everything, but I think its a pretty accurate recap of the last 12 months. Check back (no telling how soon) for more updates from the Pontious household. Thanks for reading and I'll leave you with this smile:

2 comments:

Living Abundantly said...

Although I knew all of this, it was so good to read it. Love the pics, of course. I couldn't help but smile REAL BIG at each and every one! Love you much, sweetie!

Staci Bishop said...

Welcome back to the bloggosphere! Love reading what's going on in your world.