Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom's the Word

To be completely honest, I don't even know where to begin this post. I suppose HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY works, but that's not enough. I'd like to tell you a bit about my amazing momma. You see, I'm just like my mother. All of my life, people who know my mom have called me "little Becky." They say I look like her, sound like her, act like her...everything I do reminds someone of my mom. For the longest time I'd look at them and say, "no I'm not!" Why I ever did that, I have no idea. I suppose I was in denial because I've always know that I'm just like her. Now, I take it as a huge compliment! Thank you.

Do you think I look like her? She was my age when this picture was taken.


Mom and I after last year's marathon. She came to cheer me on...it meant so much to me!
My mother is absolutely wonderful. To be honest, she's just like her mother who was an incredible lady. My mom is creative, funny, a good cook, a wonderful wife, a mentor, a great friend, and so so so much more. Especially after my second year of college, we became especially close. I talk to my mother practically every day (judge me if you want, but its not going to change). You see, she's not just my mom, but she's one of my very best friends. In a later post that I'm preparing even now I'll tell you about some of my dearest friends, and believe you me, she will be in that one too! She's my encourager, my prayer warrior, my sounding board, my boys' Grammy for Heaven's sake.
Even though Desmond is only 2, I have realized that raising children is an incredible journey, but it also DEMANDS sacrifice- of many things. I have come to appreciate so many of the sacrifices I know that my parents have made for me. Most of the things I appreciate, I am sad to report that I didn't necessarily appreciate them at the time. All of the basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, track, indoor soccer, drama, band, choir, etc., etc., etc. that they put up with...and the cost of those things just amazes me. I remember the first basketball game my parents missed. I was probably in 5th or 6th grade and they made sure to have someone video tape (you know, with the BIG HONKIN' on your shoulder kind of video cameras) it and they sat down and watched it with me. They were at EVERY game and concert. Mom is my biggest fan!

I cherish my mom and I hope that I have been able to let her know that. If not, MOM, I CHERISH YOU! What an amazing gift God gave me...even before I was born. For all of the sacrifices you've made, things I know and don't know about, THANK YOU! I love you so much! Happy Mother's Day!
(there will be plenty to post later too!)

Mom in her element:

1 comment:

Living Abundantly said...

Oh. My. Word! What a special gift you have given me with your words!!! I love you so very much, sweetie! I'm thankful you are my daughter, and God has blessed us with each other. Only if my mom were still on earth, what a 3-some we would make. I guess God knew the world wasn't ready for THAT much of a good thing. ;-)