Monday, September 26, 2011

Living room transformation

We have lived in our house for almost two and a half years and we just love it! It is three bedrooms and two baths. We have a big bonus room above our garage, a nice size kitchen, a fenced in back yard, and a big formal living room. When we moved in, we brought all of our living room furniture up to the bonus room since that's where we spend most of our time. We didn't have any furniture (or anything else for that matter) in our living room. The only thing in the living room has been my piano (which was my grandparent's) and toys, of course. Last summer, as a gift, mom and dad helped us get laminate flooring to replace the AWFUL carpet that occupied that space. Several times over the last couple of years we have saved up money to purchase some furniture, but we always had other needs arise.
A few weeks ago as I walked in the door after coming home from church, Aaron had his phone out video taping me. I didn't know if I had won a million dollars or if someone was there to surprise me or what. As I reached the top step coming from the garage into the kitchen, I saw something sitting in the living room to my right. A large couch and love seat occupied the once very empty, very bland space. My first thought was "oh goodness...how much did you pay for this?" He explained that our neighbor had come over that afternoon telling him they had gotten new furniture and wanted to know if we wanted their old couch and love seat...FOR FREE! He went over to look at it  brought it back to the house. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm very thankful for our neighbors and thankful they thought of us before throwing it out. They are very clean people and don't have any pets or anything. They didn't smell funny or have any major stains. They are rather large, though, like "Big Comfy Couch" big. They almost swallowed you with big arm rests and mini back cushions.


SO- I decided they would be my project. I enlisted the help of my good friend, Lisa Jones, to help with the transformation. We loaded the boys up in the car and headed to find some bargains. We made a few stops and came home with Euro pillows to replace the back "cushions" and a few other pillows to add some color.


Before putting in the Euro pillows

The nastiness inside the back cushions....we felt the dust mites crawling on us! Ok, that may be exagerated, but YUCK!
It literally took us all day to shop, undo all of the cushions, and make the other pillows, but we finally finished. They look great and feel like brand new couches!


Thanks, Lisa, for helping!!!

No comments: