Monday, August 22, 2011

Spread your wings...

Youth ministry is our way of life. For the most part, relationship building comes naturally to both Aaron and myself. That's not to say its easy, by any stretch of the imagination, but it does make things easi-er. There are several hard things about youth ministry, but one of the hardest for me is letting go. One of our priorities of our ministry is that when our students leave (and by leave, I mean just move on from) our ministry, they are daily persuing a relationship with Christ, know how to share their faith, and are equipped to GO! and make disciples.
Granted, I have yet to send one of my own children even off to Mother's Day out or preschool, but I've sent dozens out from under our ministry into the great unknown. The hardest thing? allowing them to do what we have hopefully assisted their parents to teach them. How do you let go of someone that you have poured your life into? Several, for some strange reason, have allowed us to speak into their lives. Some of them have spent countless hours in our home and seeking us out as mentors. What a blessing it has been to have them as part of our lives!






Its August. Its a new school year and some of those who just graduated under our ministry are leaving home for the first time or are returning to college. That's hard for me. Its hard to be in our LifeGroups and not see the familiar faces I am used to. I'm sure their parents feel the same way (even more so, obviously), but its hard for me, too.
The good news? We, too, have a whole new set of students to pour into. I'm so thankful for the opportunity the Lord has given our family to invest in our students and their families. It is a true honor and privelege for us. Hopefully, there will be many many more students that give us the opportunity to speak into their lives as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for loving our students! Your investment in their lives is priceless and something they will always remember! I love you for who you are and what you do!